Amy knows how to do hospitality just right. Her home is homey enough that you can put your feet up on the sofa and not worry if your kids spill a few crumbs, but she keeps it comfortable and nice and your heart feels happy surrounded by the pretty, comfortable decor.
These scones are like Amy’s house – just right. Flavorful, light, airy, and comfortable, they make your heart happy and your soul calm. I’ve made a lot of scones in the last couple of years, and I humbly admit that these are WAY better than any I’ve made – and the ones I make are very, very good!! I feel that I can truly declare them the Best Scones Ever in good conscience :-)
Best Scones Ever Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free: 2 cups of gluten free flour mix and 1 tsp. xantham gum)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- Wax paper (Amy uses a pastry cloth; I would use a silicone baking mat)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Freeze 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened (Amy used a little more whipping cream here to help the dough hold together a bit bitter).
- Turn dough out onto wax paper; gently press or pat dough into a 7-inch round (mixture will be crumbly) (Amy made hers smaller; about 4-inch rounds). Cut round into 8 wedges. Place wedges 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops of wedges with remaining 2 Tbsp. cream just until moistened.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Chocolate-Cherry Scones: Stir in 1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped, and 2 oz.coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate with the cream.
- Apricot-Ginger Scones: Stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots and 2 Tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger with the cream. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze after baking.
- Cranberry-Pistachio Scones: Stir in 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped roasted salted pistachios with the cream.
- Brown Sugar-Pecan Scones: Substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans with the cream.
- Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Scones: Omit sugar. Stir in 3/4 cup (3-oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper with the cream.
- Ham-and-Swiss Scones: Omit sugar. Stir in 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese and 3/4 cup finely chopped baked ham with the cream. Serve warm with Mustard Butter: Stir together 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard, and 1 Tbsp. minced sweet onion.
- Pimiento Cheese Scones: Omit sugar. Stir in 3/4 cup (3-oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and 3 Tbsp. finely chopped pimiento with the cream.
- Rosemary, Pear, and Asiago Scones: Omit sugar. Stir in 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh pear, 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese, and 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary with the cream.
I challenge you – make them and tell me if they’re not the best ever?! If you think yours are better, I’ll… well, I’ll come over and judge for myself :-)